Friday, April 29, 2011

You can do it!

My husband often makes fun of my questionable taste in music. I'll admit. I grew up on mall-music. I had older sisters who listened to "good" music, but I was so far removed, I probably stopped listening to that in elementary school, and by the time I was making my own musical decisions, MTV had gone downhill.

I find merit in catchy, meaningless music. It can make you feel a little groovy, even if it's empty grooviness. I also deeply appreciate Ben's music. One of the most memorable times of my life was sitting in the Royal Festival Hall in London, UK and listening to Tindersticks play the most beautiful, soulful music I'd ever heard.

But I've got to tell you. This morning, No Doubt's "You Can Do It" off their Tragic Kingdom album popped into the "play all" playlist on my ipod, and I didn't skip over it. I haven't been particularly discerning today. I've actually been pretty busy with my job, and the noise of the headphones kind of keeps me focused. I've taken breathers and noticed the songs of Ella Fitzgerald, The Strokes, and Madonna, but that No Doubt song actually made me cock an ear and listen to the words. Exerpts below:

...Let's make an end
To this sad, sad song
For you it's hard to take
'Cause the pill has an awful taste
Just open up and swallow down
Once it hits bottom
Things may turn around

Unfortunately this is the case
You've got to catch up
And win the race
Straighten yourself out
You can do it...

...I know it seems
They're messing with your mind
But you don't have to go
Forward blind
So let the bygones be hygone
And let's make an end
To this sad, sad song

So as "fluff" as their music may be, I'm glad I had that little pick me up this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment