Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Hanging Tough

I've decided to make today an "inspirational" quote day. It's that kind of day for me. I'm in need of some inspiration - or more, perhaps, some encouragement and confirmation that I am doing the right thing. So...today's quotes are all about battles and/or patience. I'm in dire need of some patience, and I need some perspective on the battle at hand.

We could never learn to be brave and patient, if there were only joy in the world.
--Helen Keller
(Then again, we'd never NEED to learn to be brave and patient if there were only joy in the world...)

You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it.
--Margaret Thatcher

There will be a time when loud-mouthed, incompetent people seem to be getting the best of you. When that Happens, you only have to be patient and wait for them to self destruct. It never fails.
--Richard Rybolt

Thus it is that in war the victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory.
--Sun Tzu
(Hopefully, I've been a good strategist. It seems like someone --not me-- is currently looking for their victory.)

Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish. 
--John Quincy Adams
(the problem with all this patience talk is that in order to see its effects, time has to pass. So far, the seasons have changed a few times, and the same difficulties and obstacles are still there.)

I am extraordinarily patient, provided I get my own way in the end.
Margaret Thatcher
(I know. I totally over-loaded this thing with Margaret Thatcher today. But it turns out, she's fairly wise when it comes to my life today.)

And there you have it. Now's the time for patience. I guess it's been a time for patience for months. Now may be the time for renewed patience. And for the belief that we can do this. We did prepare. We prepared for 4 months. We are still preparing. And it might not be this week, and we may have to do this again in the future. But we can be patient, and we will persevere.

No comments:

Post a Comment