Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Hooray for rainboots (kind of)

My new rainboots that my husband and kids got me for Christmas sprung a leak. Who knows how that happened. It doesn't really matter, though. It's still better than walking to work with dress shoes (or light hikers) on. They are warm, they protect my pants, and they make me feel rugged.

Today, about a block after I got off the train, it started snowing! Huge flakes at least the size of quarters filled the air. The weird part is that it was also still raining. That and it was still 37 degrees outside, so while the snow was beautiful in the air, once it hit the pavement, it was gone. It was still nice to walk through a winter wonderland without freezing.

It's been a busy, whirl-wind week. On Monday, I went to a 5:30am spin class. It wasn't full, but it was a good class. The instructor was motivational, except for the part where she played music that I think I would have lived a full life if I had never heard. A sample of the musical stylings include a mash up of the theme to Andy Griffith with Beyonce's "Single Ladies." Another interesting one was Wild Cherry's "Play That Funky Music" mixed with Franky Goes to Hollywood's "Relax." And did I mention that she sang along? The rest of the class is huffing and puffing, and she was singing along to the worst excuse for music ever recorded. Other than that, though, the class was really good. Ben got Bubba ready for me, so when I got home, all I had to do was run around like a crazy person to make it out the door in time for work. I forgot deoderant. Oops.

Yesterday, Ben started another free trial at a new BJJ (Brazillian Jiujitsu) gym. Even though it was just his first day, and he hasn't made any determination, yet, I already like the first one he tried better. It's closer, and they have noon classes, which is really convenient. Especially since Ben works from home, and wouldn't have to go back to an office after that. Bubba and I had a really fun swim lesson. My arms are super tired from all the over-head presses I did with him. He loves that.

Today, I was supposed to go to another spin class, but we've had a lot of late nights this week working on taxes, so...I skipped it. We slept in late, and Ben helped get Bubba ready for school again, anyway, even though I was at home. It was a dream. Ben's a dream-boat.

So, yeah. Taxes. Ugh. We've spent about 5 hours on them, so far, and we're not done. I'm paranoid that we're committing tax fraud because our refund is so huge (so far). Ben had barely any taxes taken out of his regular pay, but he overpaid taxes on his stock options last year. I've been nickel and diming (or thousand and ten thousanding) my Roth to pay our lawyer, and I was paranoid about that. Oh, and did I mention Ben is also a free-lance writer and I also got an EIN for myself in order to pay nanny taxes? What a mess. And we don't get to claim Scooter this year. I was paranoid about not having Scooter and having to pay nanny taxes, so apparently, I had too much withheld (especially considering how Ben handled his stock option exercise). Turbotax wouldn't send us down the wrong path, though, would it? I hope not. I'm looking forward to paying off our lawyer with the refund.

No comments:

Post a Comment