Monday, November 22, 2010

I moved.

We emerged from the basement shortly after 9am this morning.  We had an "all team" meeting with the new CIO today, and after it was over, the movers were in our basement room, tearing down our computers to move them upstairs.  We have known about this move since November 10th or so.  The cubes we moved into, on the 2nd floor, were generally empty or belonged to consultants.  The new CIO asked (as did we, but apparently people only listen if you have a big "C" after your name), "why are our consultants, who generally work remotely for weeks at a time, in cubes, when we have actual employees in a giant table in the basement?"  Good question.  And we got our answer in short order.  After all, the CIO just started on November 1st, and we had a hospital go live on a new system during that time.

So we moved today.  I packed my box on Friday before I left, so all we had to do was follow our computers upstairs.  When I got to my new cube, I noticed that the girl into who's cube I was moving a)  wasn't there, and b) hadn't packed anything.  At all.  I felt awkward.  I didn't want to move in, and i didn't want to rifle through all of her stuff to pack it up for her.  So I set my stuff in a corner, and got to work (my computer was there, afterall).  She showed up at about 1pm, and said, 'Um...excuse me?'  I asked if she was XX.  She said yes.  I said I had been moved to that cube, and asked if she knew this was coming.  She had no idea. Hard to believe, since all the other consultants had already moved out, but maybe nobody told her?  Maybe I moved into the wrong cube?  I hope not.

After that awkwardness, in which I ended up walking her down to the dungeon from which I came, I decided to check out the new digs as far as bathrooms go.  All the doors upstairs have key codes on them.  Including the bathrooms.  Unfortunately, not all of the codes are the same.  I had to ask someone what the code was.  Embarrassing.

The bathroom upstairs is surprisingly not as nice as the one in the basement.  Or more likely, I'm just not used to it, yet.  But the interior seems older (except the soap and paper towel dispensers, which are hands free).  And there's only 2 stalls, which is a shocker, since there were 3 in the basement.  I still haven't figured out which one is the best throne.  But since I've decided to keep my lunch in the relatively empty break room in the basement, I might have to make trips down there to the "safety" of a familiar bathroom, too.

1 comment:

  1. If I was that girl, I'd be slightly pissed to be switched down to the dungeon. Even though it makes total sense. How annoying for all parties. I don't get why office set up stuff has to be such a pain. My sister is going through some BS with a desk move as well that has caused a rift in her department that trickles all the way down to the donut level. (meaning - the people involved get left off the donut emails that go out.) It's like, really? Are we that childish? I hope this girl doesn't cause any issues for you in the future. Donut or otherwise.

    ReplyDelete