Wednesday, November 17, 2010

busy work

Last night, after I picked Bubba up from daycare, we had our first low-key evening in a long time. At least, it seemed like it had been a long time.  We didn't have to run to make any copies or fax anything or mail anything.  All we had to do was play, read, and eat dinner.  We did two of those things really well.  One of them was pretty ok, too, though.

When Ben came out here with the moving truck, we basically went from nearly 2000 square feet of living and storage space in our house to about 850 square feet in an apartment.  No garage, no storage shed, no unfinished basement, no shelving in a storage area, just apartment.  We decided to rent a storage unit.  We probably should have known at the time that 750 (15x5 by 10 feet high) cubic feet was not going to make up the difference.  We were optomistic.  A day later, we rented 1000 more cubic feet (10x10 square, by 10 ft high).  The problem is that the 2 units were on opposite ends of the storage complex. Consolidation would take time, strength, and probably a truck.  It was raining, Ben was sick, and Bubba was sad, so we did not consolidate that day.  We merely loaded the larger unit. 

After calling several donation centers around town (VA, Salvation Army, Humane Society), and finding that nobody wanted my old garage storage units, we made the tough decision to dis-assemble in order to move one from the smaller unit.  It was way too heavy for me to lift and too big for my car.  I spent my whole lunch break un-screwing all the screws by hand yesterday and loading the pieces into my car - to eventually end up in a dumpster.  After work (I worked from home), I ran over there to finish the job.  I had to remove the carseat from the backseat to get the larger pieces into the car.  But it's done.  I re-arranged some boxes in the larger unit, and I was able to fit everything in there.  Of course, eventually my bike, another one of Ben's bikes (he already has 2 in there), and Scooter's bike will have to be added in.  We'll have to rent yet another storage unit for bikes and bike accessories...

No comments:

Post a Comment