Tuesday, November 9, 2010

crying time?

I worked from home today.  I spent a few hours in the morning doing some research for a few reports that I'm writing.  After that, I spent some time studying for my next certification exam.  For the last exam, I played music during study hours, and since I PASSED, I decided to continue with that strategy.  Instead of listening to my "Ben" playlist, which is what I did for the last test, I scrolled through and actually picked music.  What I found was that I ended up choosing a bunch of "Ben" songs anyway, but  instead of just letting them play in the background, I'd actually pay attention to a song or two.

One of the songs that I listened to early on stuck in my head all day.  "The Weeping Song" by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds (Listen to the song here).  It's one of those melancholy songs that Ben has a penchant for.  And, as the title alludes, it's about weeping.  The kind of crying a person does from pain and true sadness.  It stuck with me not just because it's about being sad and crying, but because the song gets quiet in the middle, and then grows in strength until the end, where the lyric is, "But I won't be weeping long."

Today, it was as if good ol' Nick (just like jolly ol' saint nick, but totally different) was singing directly to me.  I am strong.  I can do this.  And I don't need to spend the rest of my life weeping.


1 comment:

  1. I spent a good portion of my time writing my thesis drinking calimochos and listening to Pete Yorn ad nauseum. It was bizarre and slightly Pavlovian. After awhile i couldn't get anything accomplished without wine or Pete. So I say that to say this...I had some "wine-ing" to do, you've got some "whine--ing" to do. But in the end...well, I hit that thesis out of the park. And you'll make it past the whining and weeping too.

    ReplyDelete