Monday, November 1, 2010

how much cottage cheese can you stuff into a ziplock?

Our apartment is pretty full.  That might be the biggest understatement of our life times.  We have too much stuff stuffed into a 970 sq ft apartment.  It's not that our old house was so huge.  But it did have 4 separate bedroom areas, an unfinished basement and an oversized 2 car garage with a shed in the backyard.  You can't tell me that we can reasonably fit all of that stuff into this apartment.  But we've certainly tried.  My major point of pride is that we have fit all of our shelves and storage cabinets into the apartment, but have stored most of the knick-knack items so that the shelves, etc, can now be repurposed to be more useful.

And if I had a list of "must haves" in my next house after living in my last house, that list is much, much more reasonable.  Instead of "huge mudroom with utility sink", I think I'll be happy with "area to wipe feet when walking in the door."  Or "giant kitchen with walk-in pantry," I could settle for....no  that one might be non-negotiable.  But what I'm saying is that this austerity plan that we're about to embark on is cramped.  And a little weird.  But I think it's doable, and if we can save a little $$ ($UPGRADE$) in the process, great!  And when we finally do move into a bigger house, we'll appreciate it much more. 

Now if we can just sell the old house, so we can start our austerity plan and get off our gulf-style money gusher plan, that'd be great.

No comments:

Post a Comment