Sunday, October 17, 2010

Sunday bike day

My bike is back in action! I changed my own bike tire last weekend, but didn't get to ride because it was raining on Saturday and I left for Madison on Sunday morning. Today, though, I hopped back on that thing for a little ride. I went over to Center Street park, which is a nice little park in a neighborhood that we'd like to move to once the dust settles. The ride is bike lanes and sidewalk the whole way, so I'm sure if we're still in the apartment when Scooter comes out, we'll easily be able to ride there together.

I also rode to Powell's books, which is a Portland area book store. Kind of like Barnes and Noble, but 1. locally owned, 2. cheaper than B&N and 3. they also buy and sell used books. Yay! On the way there and home, I thought about how nice it would be to ride to the grocery (same strip mall) with the family and load up Bubba's chariot with groceries and ride home. It'd probably take about the same amount of time as driving, and now that Scooter is an ace on her bike, it could also be fun.

I got a few books at Powell's. Devil in the White City, which was recommended to me by Jessica last week, after she heard how much I enjoyed Low Life (non fiction book about NYC between 1860s-1930). I also got The Diary of Anne Franke and Touching the Void. When I got home, I skyped with Ben and the kids, and told them about my purchases. I also showed them Bubba's Superman outfit.

The only problem with riding my bike around town is that I go too fast to spot any coins on the ground. And we all know that Portland's streets are lined with copper. I'm up to $0.59, as I found my first nickel yesterday. This city is going to make me a very rich woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment