Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Merry Merry

We celebrated several days of Christmas this year. Ben sister came down from Seattle, and waited with us until Scooter flew into town. We all went to pick her up at the airport, and had a jolly afternoon opening presents, eating, and skyping with Ben's parents. Scooter got several crafty crafts (which she was very excited about), as well as a solar-powered garden light. Bubba received several pieces of track and Skarlowey for train fun. From us, they each got 3 gifts: a sleeping bag (mountain hardware bag that's actually rated better than mine), a pillow pet (dolphin for Scooter, frog for Bubba), and a child-specific gift. Scooter received a ski helmet that she can decorate to make her own. Right now, it's a plain black, but I'm sure she'll put some fun stickers on it. Bubba got a leapfrog alphabet game. It turns out, he's smarter at his letters than we had originally thought. I also opened several gifts including a new camera (HD video and clearer photos will surely follow), a sweater and scarf, and slippers to keep my tootsies warm. The slippers I got a couple of years ago had huge holes in the bottoms. My feet had been freezing this winter. Poor Ben had nothing to open. The kids and I got him a new camera body (and kit lens) for Christmas, but we let him open and use it early. So he's been enjoying his Christmas present for nearly a month, now. I think he's ok with that, but it sure made for an uneven gift pile on Christmas.

Yesterday, after we yanked the kids away from the gifts that Santa brought (MORE trains and track! Skis and boots!), we drove down to Ben's aunt and uncle's house for a wonderful day of family and fun. As always, they were wonderful hosts, and the kids (quite literally) tore their house apart. I always cringe a little when I mentally compare what their house looked like when we arrived vs what it looks like when we leave. Even after helping them pick up, it seems we manage to leave a tornado trail in our wake. Hopefully, my sister's kids will do the same for us someday. :)

Today, Ben and the kids took a trip over to the Columbia store. Based on the looks of the tree swaying outside my window at work, they went just in the nick of time. Bubba and Scooter each got some warm mittens (or gloves) which they will wear when we go skiing/sledding/hiking in the cold. Bubba also got a new hat that hopefully won't leave marks on his noggin. And because I have the most thoughtful husband around, they also picked me up some waterproof boots and a softshell jacket with a hood. I will now be the best dressed member of my family (up from worst-dressed just yesterday). For my next trick, I'll talk Ben into buying a new house! ha ha ha.

But really, I walk outside 2 miles (at least) per day 5 days per week. Luckily, it's been a really dry winter so far, but if it had been a normal December, my feet (and body) would have been soaking wet too often. I would have been sad. The forecast for this week (and the forseeable future) is wet. I'm happy to have dry feet and a warm torso. The fleece/jacket combo I currently wear is a combined 27 years old. It'll be nice to step out of the house into the 21st century, jacket-wise, tomorrow. I'll have to take pictures of my new gear with my new camera tonight. I still need to learn how to get the photos off the camera onto the computer. I'll have to learn that skill before we head to Canada this weekend. Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment