Monday, December 19, 2011

Of all the things to get mad about

So, I probably did a bad thing today. I re-read the appellant brief that the ex's lawyer sent to the appeals court. I know it's ridiculous for me to do so, but I'm kind of obsessing over this. Today, I got notice of a hearing for Jan 9th. Not for the appeal, but for a stupid little thing that is basically a clerical error in the "original" modification order. The word, "plaintiff" was missing from the paragraph where the ex is supposed to mail me a copy when he submits to the clerk of court. Also, even though it's in the original order, we're placing more emphasis on his requirement to provide supporting documentation for his claims in his affidavit. Generally, one wouldn't think that it would be necessary, but considering he claimed over $1200 for October's travel when less than $750 is actually authorized, well, you get the idea. And yes, affidavits are sworn statements. So anyway, apparently their side is not approving the clerical correction, so we're actually going to have a hearing on the matter. And this time, we're asking for attorney's fees.

Ok. But what really is getting my panties in a bunch today is one sentence in the appellant brief. It goes like this: "Lori did testify that her employment in Omaha had a high rate of turnover, however, she had been at the company for six years; and had continued to receive yearly raises, even after taking 12 weeks off to have a baby (not at issue herein)." Seriously?! SERIOUSLY?! I shouldn't be allowed to look for new employment (or move out of state) because I should have been happy in a place that fired people every quarter? Let me break down the craptastickness of that sentence.
1. I took off 8 weeks, 4 of which were unpaid. During my 8 weeks "off," I was in semi-regular contact with the office.
2. 2 years of my "yearly raises" were not merit raises, but cost of living.
3. 1 acronym: FMLA. It's this little federal law, which kind of guarantees me the right to take up to 12 weeks off w/o fear of job loss.
And in case you missed it earlier, I DID NOT TAKE 12 weeks off. I fought tooth and nail for 8, and didn't really even get that. And since when am I to be penalized for being a good employee and a mom? Only when it's a custody dispute.

So, yeah, my dander's up. Sorry about that. I just think that it's totall BS that a man would point out that I took time off work to push a baby out of my uterus and then bond with it. On the one hand, I'm a terrible person for yanking her child away from her dad. On the other, I'm a terrible person for actually bonding with my children. Did YOU take a SINGLE DAY off when YOUR daughter was born? Maybe one. Does all of that working make you a better dad with a stronger bond with his kid? Probably not.

No comments:

Post a Comment