Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Stress

Today's the anniversary of the historic bombing of Pearl Harbor by the Japanese. You know...the incident that lead to America joining World War II. According to some, my last name would require that I apologize today. But I'm not going to.

We got Scooter's report card yesterday. In grown-up terms, she's failing writing. As in, she does not meet the standard. Luckily, I knew that was coming, and we've been working on that (REALLY HARD) for a couple of weeks, now. And we're actually seeing improvment. Goal is to be awesome by the spring. That was a little stressful, but I've had worse.

Today, in fact, was worse. I got the ex's appellant brief in my email inbox this morning. Super awesome. It came while I was in a meeting in which 3 of my 4 proposals got denied pending further testing by me. The other one, I had withdrawn from the meeting at the last minute, anyway. Whoopsie! So yeah. Anything lawyerly related gets my stomach in knots and my heart in a panicked state. So today has kind of been horrific. But my head knows, after reading (and re-reading, and re-reading) the brief that we've got this thing in the bag. Unless we don't (hence, the panic attacks).

Do you know what I do to make my day better when I have days like this? I read the judge's opinion and ruling. It's very thoughtful, well-written, and (this is the best part) it goes in my favor. The amount of case law he pulled in to back up his decision is comforting to read, especially when everything else seems to be attacking me personally.

5 comments:

  1. One suggestion for the writing, suggest to Scooter that she writes letters to her grandparents. I'm sure my mom would love it and plus she would get replies which would make it easier to write the next one. Just a thought. :-) Aunts also like letters from nieces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've been focusing on using our senses while writing, in order to improve her word choices and the "interest" in her sentences. Yesterday was 100 words about the kitchen table. Today was 100 words about her pencil. Stuff like that. But we could certainly incorporate some letter writing in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, a hundred words about a pencil. That makes me happy I don't turn my college papers into you for a grade!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was all Ben. He's going to turn her into a writer, yet!

    ReplyDelete