Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Let's get Motivated!

Portland had some motivational thing at the Rose Garden Arena yesterday. It was an all-day type of thing with Giuliani. It didn't mean much for me, other than slower trains in the morning, but it did make for an additional 45-60 minutes drive for my coworkers who don't take mass transit. Aparently, it was geared toward the unemployed of Portland (there's a lot of them), but then event organizers basically were trying to sell the people with tickets stuff that they probably don't need or can't afford. Sad, really.

I swam a long, long way this weekend. Like...4500 meters. So...around 2.5 miles? Maybe a little more? It was grand. 100 laps on Saturday and 80 on Sunday. I wish I could swim everyday. But I guess if I swam everyday, I wouldn't get any better at anything else. So I'm back to biking and running in the mornings, and boy are my arms tired. My legs are, too (I've already posted about that), but biking and running really makes my arms tired. Like...I get to work, and I have a hard time holding the door open for people behind me. Maybe I'm just inconsiderate.

So last night, I'm ashamed to admit that Ben and I watched a portion of the Bachelor. I've never seen a full episode of that show, but there really is nothing else as entertaining to watch on Monday evenings. It was the proposal/after show reunion episode, and boy was it dumb. The whole premise of that show is unreal. 1 guy dates 30 girls at the same time, weeding them out one by one and then marries one of them? The one nice thing about that show is that it really opens up a dialogue between my husband and myself. We comment on what we're seeing, and then it just leads to conversations about all sorts of things. His perspective is interesting, and he respects my opinions. Gee. It's almost like we're in a solid, adult relationship. And the best part is that after we decided to marry each other, I didn't have to go back and watch him dating 29 other girls on national television.

Hopefully this says more about how awesome my husband is than it does about our horrible taste in television. I really enjoy his company. Even after he's seen me at my worst, I still like to talk to him. Not just have those meaningful conversations, but also the light banter that generally occurs when you're on a first date and you're trying to be your wittiest. And it's interesting, to me, how life plays out. There are so many scenarios in which I wouldn't have made it past the first "rose ceremony," but here I am, for better or worse (tv programming), partnered for life.

2 comments:

  1. Oh man - I'm so glad you posted this. The bachelor is often on when I'm at the gym. And I could tune my ipod to the radio and listen to it, but it's waaay more fun for me to read the closed caption and imagine how painful it is instead of actually listening and watching. I can't stand it. It makes my skin crawl to watch one man get that close to that many women in that short of a space of time and pretty much all at the same time. On the one hand, I want this man's feelings to be geniune, because he's feeling them and expressing them and seems to be earnest, but on the other hand he feels that way about pretty much every single girl on the show. If anything it illustrates to me that there are MANY paths life may take you, and any one of those roads could be totally fine and a good path for your future. So why get so hung up on finding "the one" for you when really there could be many "ones" out there? And also, the conversations just seem so painfully contrived. I mean, there was an episode where the woman who was an embalmer went into this PAINFUL detail about embalming at dinner and i thought - man - you KNOW that's the show telling her to do that. Anyone with tact would talk about it in a general and vague manner and then say, "if you really want to know the details, we can talk about it some other time." or "there's a book i could recommend" but NOPE, she kept going with all these gory descriptions and the look on his face was priceless. And how come it seems like they are always talking about the girls? Did you ever get to know the dude at all? Or is the premise just that he's wealthy and single and that's all they care about?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hilarious! You really should be my (our) roommate, again. We'd have such intellectual conversations about the most ridiculous of TV shows. Ben and I used to watch Dating in the Dark just to posit our theories on those people. I seriously do not understand how any person could go on The Bachelor actually hoping/expecting to meet someone that they will spend the rest of their life with. The whole show is based on giving you back the false urgency of adolescence. I think every teenager fell in love 30 times in 13 episodes, and here they are creating an environment where grown adults can do the same. Adolescent love rarely lasts a lifetime, though...

    ReplyDelete