Friday, March 18, 2011

Disaster

So I realize that I'm totally self-absorbed. I would venture a guess that any blogger that writes about their own life is at least a little self-absorbed. That's the concept, and although I do try to self-censor (by not posting my children's actual names, by not writing as detailed as I would - or do - in my regular journal, etc) I am still writing about what's going on in my life. So...it's going to be all about me. And me right now is completely obsessed with the earthquake/tsunami/nuclear disaster in Japan.

I'm not really sure why. I mean, I do have Japanese ancestry, but I don't personally have family that I know in Japan. I'm not a scholar on Japan. I don't pretend to be any expert on their culture or history (although I can make a mean miso and roll a fairly good spicy tuna roll). But I am feeling very deeply for the people of Japan. I feel more emotionally involved than I did during the Haitian crisis last year, and even more involved than I did about the Katrina hurricane, which struck the US.

I've been trying to figure out why I'm so moved by these series of events. Part of me thinks it's because I've visited Japan. Except...I only visited Tokyo (and Camp Zama about 30 miles southwest of Tokyo). I thought perhaps it had something to do with my ancestry. But let's be honest...do 1/2 Germans, with 4 generations between them and immigration really feel that strong a tie to Germany? I doubt it.

I think I actually feel this strongly because of stories like this. It's how I've been feeling for the past 6 months. I just want my family back, and it feels hopeless sometimes, but I'm still going.

And since I do feel so strongly, I would be remiss if I didn't post a way for everyone else to help the people of Japan. The pace of donations to aid organizations is much slower for Japan than it was for Haiti last year. It's disheartening. I've given what we can (which isn't much considering the house payment, rent, storage space, child support, daycare and flights back and forth to Omaha...). You should, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment