Thursday, March 17, 2011

Coming Clean

I watch a lot of TV. I'll admit it. Ben and I put the boy to bed, and for the next couple of hours (or sometimes, just one), I'll sit in front of the tube and veg out. Monday, nothing is on, and it's a struggle to find something worth watching. Tuesday is the Biggest Loser. Wednesday is The Middle and Modern Family night. Thursday is Community, The Office, and 30 Rock. There's some dumb show in between during which I usually clean the kitchen or shower. Friday? Either Suppernanny or we just go to bed. By Friday, we're usually pretty tired.
Well, anyway, a few weeks ago, there was an episode of The Middle in which it comes to light that the main character told her (now) husband that she had liked a certain movie (Resevoir Dogs) that they saw on their first date. It was the reason why he asked her out for a second one. She, in "real" life, hated the movie, and almost didn't go on that second date b/c what kind of guy would like that movie. She admitted, after years of marriage, that she hated that movie, and hilarity ensued. It got me to thinking...

When Ben and I first started dating, he recommended that I read a book - one of his favorites. It was The Orchid Thief by Susan Orlean. It was an extremely well written book, yes. But I didn't like it. At the time, I told him it was good, but I found it to be boring. I mostly found it so because it was hard for me to read. Don't get me wrong, I'm an intelligent (so I like to think) person, but for some reason, the book seemed too lofty a read for me. I slogged through the whole book because I'm the kind of person, who once I commit to something, likes to see things through to the end. I came clean last night.

Ben was flabbergasted. I didn't like it?! Luckily, he didn't base our relationship on my liking that book (unlike 'The Bachelor,' on which he totally could have not selected me for a rose based on that fact...).

I've found a new way to walk to work. I've been walking that route to work for a few weeks, now, and I think it's faster. I just started walking that way home from work yesterday. Every street either has a stop sign or light with a cross walk, which, if timed correctly, I can walk through without a stop. Portland really is walker-friendly.

Today on my lunch walk, I went past a vintage clothing store that I found on Monday. After 3 days of it being closed (for lunch?) during my walk, it was open today. I didn't stop in, though, as I decided to do a quick walk rather than a long lunch and I didn't want to take the time. I will go in someday, though. It looks like a cool little store. They had a sign posted on their door today advertising a concert/private party (byob). I thought it was hilarious that they'd post a by-invitation-only party in a public place. Hey! Here's a party that you're not invited to. Just thought you should know...

3 comments:

  1. It is interesting that that party is not only by invitation only but then they also post the amount charged at the door and the amount if you have RSVP'ed. If the sign is that confusing I wonder how many people will even get an invitation much less go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I didn't even notice that part...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Couplea things: 1) I've seen an episode or two of the Middle when I've been at the gym. Even watching in closed caption it seems hilarious. 2) aaah - having nightly shows. I think if I had T.V., your shows would be my shows. Instead, I'm slowly catching up on The Office on DVD. Most days I don't miss TV, as we've discussed. I'm reading a ton more now, and I'm convinced it's what keeps me out and about now that I'm done with school. But there are definitely days when there's nothing going on and I'm kinda grateful Areyl got the internet (don't tell her that) so I can just browse tumblr or do other inane stuff. 3) I'm really glad your marriage isn't based on lies. I'm glad you were honest with Ben and he didn't reject you for it.

    ReplyDelete