Monday, March 7, 2011

100th post!

If you're still reading, congratulations. This is 100. I hope you all had fun and productive weekends. I did. I was "on call" for work. Actually, I still am until Friday. It was uneventful (thank goodness!). I'm not sure what kind of reporting emergencies usually happen after hours and on weekends, but the responsibility of being on call is scary. The last time I was on call, we upgraded some systems, so I had to do some testing at 1am Portland time (I was in Omaha, though, so it was 3am there). It took all of 10 minutes, and I went back to bed. Exciting, I know. This time (so far) nothing. Whew.

This weekend, Bubba got his first big boy haircut. We took him to Pigtails and Crewcuts, which specializes in kids' hair. They did a fantastic job. Especially once you factor in the spazzy head movements of a 2 year old. Nobody got stabbed with scissors or whacked on the head with combs. I consider that a success! They even saved us a bit of hair in a card. It was cute. I thought he looked more like his cousins after the hair cut.




This weekend, I also got to the pool twice (yay to Ben for watching Bubba after he got all that syrup up in him!). I realized mid-way through my first pool visit that I had counted my laps incorrectly the last time I was at the pool, and I'm not in as poor of shape as I thought. I'm doing alright. Both days this weekend, I got my mile done in under 45 minutes. That means I'd easily hit 100 laps in under an hour, if I had been so inclined. I wasn't. It was so nice to get back in there, though, and tear it up. I'm already looking forward to next weekend.

Ben has me on a training regimen. It started out with spin class 3 times per week. Biking is a sport at which I'm pretty horrible, and so far, I don't think I've actually made it 3 times per week. I've had good excuses, though, and if I had been in town on Friday 2 weeks ago and Monday last week, I would have had 2 weeks of going 3 times. This week will be my first, I think. I have made it twice per week, though, for a few weeks, now, and I must admit that my biking feels like it's getting better. Whether or not that's true has yet to be tested.

Next stop: running. Another sport that I'm pretty terrible at, and another component of a triathlon. I'm beginning to wonder why is it that the only thing I like doing in triathlons is the swim, and that's always the shortest leg. They need to have more amateur swimming races for adults. Or perhaps I need to learn to like biking and running. I usually only like things that I'm fairly good at, so I guess that means I need to get better at running. Away we go.

Ben has volunteered to get Bubba ready in the mornings during my cardio craze, which means happy bonus for me. I get to get the gym business out of the way in the mornings, and I get out of wrestling with a tired 2 year old. To quote Charlie Sheen, "Winning!" The goal here is to get some sort of cardio in 7 days per week. If I can continue to swim on the weekends, that means I only have to run twice per week and cycle 3 times. Ta-dah! Soon, I will be in a shape. I'll let you know what kind of shape it is when I find out.

I'd like to be in a sprint triathlon shape by the end of summer. Hopefully, with enough bike improvement to do better than the one I did in 2007. But we'll see. I'm lugging around a few extra pounds, and a lot more baggage. It's nice to have a goal again, though.

1 comment:

  1. I am very glad that Ben is so encouraging and supportive of you getting out there and being so active! Your swimming always astounds me as I couldn't do a length with proper breathing techniques to save my life. Go get 'em girl.

    ReplyDelete