Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Potty Training Chronicles III

I can't really blame him. He had no accidents in preschool (after 2 days of 2 accidents per day), and he "went" directly before we left for Scooter's soccer practice. He also had a pound of strawberries after "holding it" for 2 days. I think we all know where this is going...

I took Bubba with us to soccer practice. We got his ball out of the car, and he proceeded to kick his ball around the track surrounding the field. He kicked and ran 3/4 of a mile before the tell-tale look came across his face. You know the one. The kind of panicked concentration face. The one where his mouth is half open and he has a far away look in his eyes. Yeah. That one. The port-o-potty was being used at the moment (what are the chances?!), so we started the long, slow walk back to the car. One might call it the brown mile. I called Ben on our way to see if he could rescue us with something - anything to not have to smash poop-pants into a car seat.

While we waited, I became a resourceful mom. We happened to have taken Ben's car to practice tonight. Bummer, since I generally keep a plastic grocery bag in my car for trash. Ben doesn't like the aesthetics of the trash bag hanging off the stick shift, and frankly, neither do I. But sometimes, function trumps looks. As it was, however, we had no trash bag. The lucky thing about having Ben's car is that we did have wet wipes on hand. Yay! I opened the tailgate and stood Bubba up in the back. Shoes, socks, pants, underpants all came off, and I noticed a ziplock containing bug spray and sunscreen in a nook back there. Hooray!!! I dumped the contents of Bubba's underpants along with the used wet wipes into the ziplock. I finished wiping the boy up, and then used a fresh wet wipe on my hands, followed by hand sanitizer. Tadah! Just as I was finishing up, Ben drove up with a plastic grocery bag and a fresh pair of underpants and jeans.

Dirties went into the grocery bag, and cleanies went onto the boy. As we were fixing that up, Scooter walked up. Practice was over! We made it! Kind of. If I thought cleaning out warm underpants in a toilet was gross, I soon realized that cold dirty underpants is even worse. The bright side is that we now have a lot more clean laundry. I do at least one load per evening...

No comments:

Post a Comment