Monday, January 9, 2012

What if everyday were today?

I put $820 on my credit card today. One might think I am able to pay rent on the card (I wish - that's a lot of miles over the course of a year!). No. Today was daycare payment day. Today was also the day I enrolled the kids in one more month of swim lessons (can you believe Bubba will be in big boy lessons?!). Today was also the day I made my monthly lawyer payment. Per an email I received last Friday, detailing our new billing rates, my monthly payment amount now covers about 2.5 hours of work per month. Yeah. 2.5 HOURS on a monthly payment. Good gracious. How do people afford divorce in this day and age?

Can I also tell you how much those billing rates have changed over the 18 months I've retained my lawyer? By over 11%. As my sister said, I wish I could get a raise just by emailing the people I work for. I really shouldn't complain, though. If it means the difference between winning and losing, I'll gladly pay it. So far, it's been worth every penny. I just wish we were done with it, now.

Can you believe Bubba was 18 months old when this all started? He'll be 3 in a few weeks, hence, the big boy swim lessons. I will no longer have to embarrass myself by donning a bathing suit in front of the world to accompany my boy to his swim lesson. I can now grab a book and get comfy in the bleacher area behind the fence. Of course, if Scooter's first few years of swim lessons is any indication, I'll more likely be gripping the edge of the bench seating while initernally freaking out for 30 minutes until I can rush out there and scoop the kids back to the dressing room. My boy never listens to a word I say! How is it possible that he'll listen to an 18 year old swimming instructor? Oh, man. His last month of mommy and me lessons hasn't even started, yet, and already, my heart is racing in dread of his next set of lessons.

But to bring it back to the original question: if everyday were today, I'd be broke.

No comments:

Post a Comment