Sunday, January 22, 2012

Judo, Chop!

Bubba and Ben wrestled the other night. Then, Scooter and Ben wrestled. Then, Bubba and Ben, then Scooter and Ben, then...you get the idea. It was difficult to keep it 1 on 1 rather than 2 on 1, which surely would have resulted in more injuries than what were sustained that night. Who was injured, you might ask? Me. I wasn't even involved, other than to keep the non-wrestling party busy. Bubba was sitting on my lap, squirming around to try to get into the action. At one point, he threw his body back against me and cracked me right on the chin with his head. It didn't phase him, but I have a blue bruise on the bottom of my chin. I never realized how often I sit at my desk with my chin on my hand until the day(s) after. Youch. Ben (actually, Ben's nose) usually takes the brunt of Bubba's errant body parts; I guess it was my turn.
 
It seems the mental abuse I've been inflicting upon myself for the past year is finally manifesting itself physically. Not only do I have a bruise on my chin a la Bubba, but I also have a skinned knee. I'd say this one is even worse than the one I got last year. I slipped on the curb on my way TO work (last time was the way home from work). Luckily, I did not ruin a pair of work pants this time, but man, my knee hurts. I suppose I've always kind of been a klutz. I remember my step mom making an off-hand comment about me in my "clumsy phase" except that phase started before I moved in with them in 6th grade, and I was still tripping through it when I moved out after high school. Because I like to think the best in people, I'll remember the comment being her way of trying to make me feel better about hitting my shin on the dishwasher and spilling my cereal all over the clean dishes. The trouble is, the only reason I don't do that, anymore is because I've quit eating cereal in the mornings. Either that, or I've quit emptying the dishwasher.
 
The appeal defense brief is due at the end of the month. If I've learned anything from the past 19 months, it's that lawyers are much like college students. They don't work on projects until moments before they're due. As such, I have not heard from my lawyer in weeks, and in order to save a buck (or $200), I have not contacted his office - even though I'm wondering about the objection I filed to the ex's child support abatement, and I'm starting to freak out about the appeal and what we're going to say. I will, though, keep trucking and wait to call until next week. By then, he'll at least have re-read the trial brief from a year ago...

No comments:

Post a Comment