Friday, January 20, 2012

Brother, can you spare a dime?

Way back in September, 2010, I moved here, and immediately (I believe I picked up my first penny in the parking lot of the hotel I was about to get a room in) began finding change on the ground. I thought to myself, "hey, wouldn't it be neat if I found a penny every day until Scooter comes out here?" I started to keep track. There were days at a time when I wouldn't find anything. Other days, I'd find a lot (on the windiest December day in 2010, I found a dollar bill on the ground). I kept an internal log for nearly a year, and in that time, found over $5.00. Way better than my goal of a penny per day. I began to think of Portland as this generous cash-cow city. I marveled at the fact that I would find so much money on my well-worn walk to and from work. Recession? What recession?! Well, this fall, the days between treasure-finding became more pronounced. I'd go 10 days, sometimes weeks between finding a penny.

Ben and I joked that it was the recession. Ground change lags as a recession indicator. Rather than dollar bills, I'd only find pennies. When those, too, became scarce, I'd start finding IOUs or coupons. Ha ha ha. Well...this week, I have found one penny. But it was the first one of the year. I have not found any coupons or IOU notes. What I have been starting to find is gently used items. I have not become so desperate as to pick any of them up, but who would have guessed that I would find 3 toothbrushes in 3 separate areas in one day? This morning, I found a nail file. I guess this week was bathroom week.

I wonder if I'll start finding kitchen utensils next week? I kind of need a new (or gently used) mixer...

No comments:

Post a Comment