Saturday, January 14, 2012

Snow on the VALLEY FLOOR!!!

It hasn't started, yet. And to be honest, I have my doubts that it actually will happen. The news earlier mentioned that there were horrible lines at local grocery stores as people were stocking up before the impending storm. Some were even running out of certain items. Canned food and batteries? No. Milk, bread and toilet paper. Yes, folks. In preparation for (at most) 2 days of being stuck in one's home, the people of Portland stock up on toilet paper. Apparently, there's a lot of pooping going on in this city.

Scooter and I made friendship bracelets today while Bubba "napped." I made one for her (with colors she picked out), and she made one for Bubba, with colors he picked out months ago. It was fun and a nice little bit of mom time for her. It was the least I could do after dragging her to Costco, a hobby store and Target earlier today. If there's one thing she hates, it's running errands. She's definitely my mother's granddaughter.

Bubba is sick. He stayed home from school yesterday, and was actually very good for Ben. He cuddled nicely, watched movies, and took a 3 hour nap. Today? He was still sick (his cough was worse and his nose was runnier), but he didn't "feel" sick. So he ran around, annoying everyone all day, and did not nap. Poor guy was exhausted by bedtime. I kind of was, too. I slept in his bed last night in order to monitor his cough and offer up water or a back rub as needed. I slept in 20-40 minute spurts from midnight to about 5am. After that, sleeping was more along the lines of 5-10 minute spurts until 7:40 or so, when he went into my room (where Ben was sleeping), and turned on his noisiest, most annoying toy.

While sleeping with him, I took the awesome quilt that my mom made for Christmas off the couch and brought it in (his covers are all too small for me). I still froze. The quilt, which would easily cover a queen sized bed, was much too big for a twin bed shared with 6 full sized pillows and an almost 3 year old. The quilt hung off the edge of the bed, and cold air kept finding its way to my back. Ugh. Ben joked that I should send it back to my mom with a note saying it was defective.

So anyway, tonight is supposed to be 10-15 degrees colder than it was last night. Bubba is still sick (and will probably need me in there, again). I'm thinking about talking Ben into letting me take our comforter off of our bed with me. Bubba would LOVE that idea. Here's a conversation he had with us in the middle of the night a week ago (or so):

Ben: [Bubba], you have to go sleep in your own bed like a big boy.
Bubba: I really like this blanket (it's our comforter, which is down w/ a really soft duvet cover on it).
Me: I like it, too. Let's go back to bed.
Bubba: I take this blanket to my bed?
Ben: No....you have to sleep in your bed with your nice blankets.
*at this point, I'm getting up to help Bubba back to bed, and he's stalling*
Bubba: Did you make this blanket? It's very nice...

No comments:

Post a Comment