Thursday, August 4, 2011

Where's the day go?

Tuesday was the anniversary of the signing of the declaration of independence. I guess it really didn't happen on the 4th of July, when it was adopted by congress. But really, you have to think...back then, it took a while for stuff to happen. Nowadays, everyone would have put an electronic signature on some email, and it'd be done in a matter of seconds. Religious freedom was also granted to Lutherans in Germany in 1552 on Aug. 2. Congrats!

Wednesday was the day Columbus set sail for India. He actually ended up bumping into the Bahamas, but whatever. Good for him. Also, Primetime Live premiered in 1989. Sam Donaldson and Diane Sawyer were the first hosts.

Today is Coast Guard day. So thank your local (if there is one near you) coast guard. I always think of them as the crossing guards of the ocean. Today's also Barack Obama's birthday. He's 50, and if you believe his birth certificate, he was born in Hawaii. Kind of makes me wonder what I'll accomplish in the next 15 years...probably not the presidency. Not on purpose, anyway. Today was also the Queen Mum's birthday. I know this not because of the calendar that my work sends me every month but because one of my good friends also has a birthday today, and I like to call him Queen Robama. I'm clever like that. Champagne was invented today by a monk named (this is so cliched) Dom Perignon. I guess we know where that champagne got its name. I wonder if it's the same recipe...

A man just walked through my area looking for someone who doesn't work in this area. It's a little disconcerting, considering I work in a controlled access room. Not only do you need an id to get into the building, you need a key to get out of the stair well, and you need an access code to get into the room I'm in (with 29 other cubes). Even the bathrooms have a separate key code. Seriously. I worked here for 4 months before I broke down and asked someone what the code to the bathroom was up here, but any old jokey can come in off the street and wander around where I work with sensitive information on my screen all day? That sounds about right...

No comments:

Post a Comment