Monday, August 15, 2011

Bikram

My husband subscribes to a service called "Groupon." I recently joined, too. It will email deals and specials in the area in which you live with the caveat that a certain number of people need to take advantage of the deal in order for it to be in effect. Generally, it's stuff like winery tours and restaurant deals, which really aren't our cup of tea, so to speak. Mostly b/c we don't generally go to restaurants that charge $100 per meal (but if we did, you bet $59 for a meal would be a deal). This past April, a deal came over for a trial at a Bikram yoga place down the block from our house. For $20, you could either get unlimited sessions for a month or 20 sessions, that had to be used within 60 days of the 1st visit. We chose the latter. Basically, I had until the end of September to use my first session, and then 60 days after that, I had to use my last session. I used my first one on Saturday. We decided that $1.00 per session was a pretty good deal, considering their drop in fee is $15 per class. They also have unlimited memberships, and an annual membership for $900, if I decide that I want to convert to a yoga lifestyle. I don't think I do.

It was in the 70s on Saturday. It was lovely. Until I walked inside the yoga studio. Actually, the outer office and locker area was really nice. It was inside the yoga-yoga part that was unbearable. They heat it to 105 degrees. I'm not sure why. I would guess it has something to do with the heat helping blood flow and circulation and muscle relaxation and stretching. It almost took my breath away. But I survived. I bumbled my way through tree pose and lotus pose and cobra etc...And then, 90 minutes later, it was over. Whew! And I think just to make sure I'm not making Ben pay $20 for a $15 session, I'll go again.

Friday was the IBM personal computer's 30th birthday. Until then, computers were of the mainframe variety, and not accessible to the average person. The argument could be made that at $3,000 (adjusted for inflation), it still wasn't very accessible. Aug 12 1865 was the first time disinfectant was used during an operation. English surgeon Joseph Lister was a pioneer in surgical cleanliness, and Listerine was named after him.

On Saturday, the Berlin Wall was erected (50 years ago). Alfred Hitchcock and Annie Oakley were also born on the 13th of August. Also, Florence Nightingale died in 1910 on Aug 13.

On Sunday, the Social Security Act had its anniversary. FDR signed it into law in 1935. Also, the National Resurrect Romance Week started. Be creative and show your honey you love them every day this week (because, apparently, we should ignore our loved ones every other week of the year).

Today is Julia Child's birthday. Also, Liberia was founded by freed American slaves in 1824. Woodstock was first celebrated 42 years ago. Also, the Assumption of the Virgin Mary and The Dormition of Theotokos is today.

Happy happy. Hope I don't die at yoga tonight.


No comments:

Post a Comment