Wednesday, August 10, 2011

I wish I had some potatoes...

Actually, I DO wish I had some potatoes. The CSA's potatoes that they send us are divine. Alas, this week will be fresh basil, onions, cucumbers, carrots, and kale. Ben can redeem his last batch by making delicious kale chips later this week.

Bubba goes to daycare. We know this. What you may not know is the size of the operation over there. They have 2 baby rooms (I think divided between 0-6 months and 6-18? months), 2 toddler rooms (little todds - 18-24 months, and big todds - 24-30 months), 2 preschool rooms (I believe 3 yr old and 4 yr old), and then before and after school care. Bubba's in big todds. He's almost 30 months, but they don't allow kids to move up until they're day time potty trained. So he might be there a while. I'm OK with that, as I've seen kids that look about 6 in his class before, and he's just two and a half, but it would be nice to get that fat discount off child care costs...

Anyway, the daycare often posts up art projects that the various rooms do on the wall in the hallway heading back to the baby/todds wing. This week, there are paintings (of ??) on the wall with "I wish I had" statements made by the Preschool 2 room (the older preschoolers). My 3 favorites are: "I wish I had potatoes," "I wish I had a real wolf puppy," and "I wish I had a rope so I could catch people."

Kids (even other people's) really crack me up.

Bubba has been pretending the couch is a truck lately. He'll pile blankets up to make the truck cab, and sit on the pile while making sweeping arm motions (steering?), and punching imaginary dials and buttons on the back of the couch (the radio?). Every few seconds, we wave "hi" to people. "Hi Mickey Mouse!" (pronounced, 'mickehmouse') "Hi Dora" (pronounced 'dooo-rah') and "Hi Tinkerbell!" (pronounced 'tinkehbeyo') ring out while we all smile and wave. Once in a while, he'll correct us, 'tinkebeyo not hee-yah. tinkebeyo outside.' But usually, it's great fun.

We're on the down slope until Scooter comes back. 18 days, down from 63. Scooter said that she's not looking forward to school starting, but I'm chalking that up to nerves. That child never has been a fan of change.

And onto the days...today is the birth anniversary of Herbert Hoover. He was born in West Branch, IA. I'm probably one of 22 people who have taken the tour of his homestead and the Herbert Hoover national library. He was the first US president born west of the Mississippi, and one of 2 elected w/o having held elected office before the presidency. Today was also the day the Smithsonian Institution was founded in 1846. It was named after James Smithson (from Great Brittan), who bequeathed the money to create an establishment "for the increase & diffusion of Knowledge among men" to the US. It's a big deal these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment