Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Is this legit?

Last night was attempt #3 at bikram yoga. At this rate, Ben has spent $6.67 per session for me. The drop in fee is $15, so we're already paying less than 1/2 price on a per class basis. Of course, the groupon was 20 sessions for $20 ($1 per class), so I have a ways to go. I am running out of time, though. I think I need to average 2.5 times per week from here on out. I think I can do it, though. There's a convenient 8:15 class. I can get the kids ready for bed, and head out at 8, while Scooter is still up and Bubba is (hopefully) either in bed or not long for the world before bed.

The classes are 90 minutes long in a room heated to 105 degrees. I know I've already gone over that part, but seriously. 105 degrees. I'm not generally a sweaty person, but I can soak a towel in 90 minutes. Each class taught at the Hall Street Studio is billed as a beginner class, which makes it not scary for those of us who are pretty awful at yoga. But the beauty of the practice of yoga is that beginner to advanced yogi, the poses are the same. It's really just the level of flexibility, balance and poise that you acquire over your weeks, month, years of practice determine your status. Not necessarily the level of the class you're in. I'm clearly a beginner, though. I wobble at the thought of tree pose (Tad Asana); I'm out of breath after balancing stick (Tula Dan Da Sana); I can't even begin to complete fixed firm (Supta Vaj Rasana).

Anyway, there are 26 poses that are done every class, in a specific order. Each pose is generally done twice (or 4 times, if done twice on each side). As we slowly ease ourselves into each pose, the instructor usually tells us what each pose does for us - more than the standard, "this pose strengthens x or stretches y" but things like, "this pose massages the ascending and descending colon." or " this pose cures insomnia, depression and colds/sinus/allergies and glandular defects."

Really? For real? Compressing my thyroid and balancing my hormones will really cure the common cold? I'm a skeptic as far as those claims go. But I will say that hot yoga might help with insomnia. I have been sleeping super soundly lately. Of course, the crazy schedule of the past week or so might also be helping on that front. I know it's only been 3 sessions, but I do feel more grounded and inner peacey-er. But that might also be due to having the whole family under one roof, again...I'll see how it goes after a few more sessions.

No comments:

Post a Comment