Thursday, December 2, 2010

Hunker down, honey!

I noticed these signs the first week I worked here.  I've been meaning to write about them, but I can't really decide from which angle to attack.  I guess I'll start out with some generalization about the signs here, and then hone in on one in particular...

There are signs everywhere.  (and yes, now I'm singing "Signs" silently to myself).  There are signs telling us what the codes are (pink is the only one I can ever remember - child/infant abduction).  There are signs telling us about our company core values.  There are signs (and hand sanitizer stations) reminding us to wash our hands.  And then there are these signs.  They're just regular pieces of red-colored paper with text (not even 1 picture!)...and they're about in-place sheltering in case of disaster or really bad weather. 

That's right.  Every time I use the stairs, I am forced to ask myself the question, "if I have to in-place shelter at work, am I prepared?"  No.  I'm not.  I don't have duct tape and plastic sheeting in a desk drawer.  I don't have a gallon of water per day stored in the corner.  I don't have dry or canned foods with a can opener.  No dust mask or first aid kit or flashlight with extra batteries.  Heck, I don't even have a book or crossword puzzle to pass the time.  I am sooo not prepared to stay here longer than 8 hours a day, 5 days a week...

But if 33 Chileans can use mining equipment as workout equipment, maybe I can scrounge up enough office supplies to play a few games of tic tac toe.  Plus, my cube is right next to the break room.  All the bottled water I can drink!  I'll defend it with my tiny pocket knife and create a fort out of the empties.  I can raid the fridge and eat everyone else's lunch food.  On second thought, maybe the next time I see a snowflake in the sky, I'll declare the need to in-place shelter, and not leave here for a few days.  Sure, it might be a little unconventional, but we need to think of personal and community safety, here...

1 comment:

  1. This in place shelter thing is crazy. I've never heard of such a thing. But I like you're idea. I think I'll start bringing my swiss army knife to work...

    ReplyDelete