Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Wow. Maybe this is legit...

I wrote last week about yoga. Specifically, the beginning bikram class I'm taking, and how each pose is supposed to alleviate some sort of health issue - or promote some other health thing. I thought the claims were a little far fetched. And then last night happened.

I was in class (my 9th, I think? Which would get us down to $2.22 per class, thank you!), doing the rabbit pose, when I felt/heard/sensed a popping in the middle of my head. At first, I wondered if my skull had popped, like a knuckle joint. Then, as my breathing became suddenly eeeeeaaassssyyy, I realized that something ocurred deep in my sinuses, and I could breathe more clearly than I had in years (ever, maybe). I've lived with allergies since I can remember. I am ashamed to admit, that I was a bit of a mouth-breather in elementary school. I still am, when I visit Omaha in the wrong season. And although in adulthood medications have greatly helped me in my quest to breathe, I realized last night that I have never really not struggled with breathing through my nose. I mean, I live like this...so I had no idea that I was struggling until last night, when suddenly, in the middle of a pose that:
  • Cures insomnia, depression, colds, sinus, tonsillitis, laryngitis, allergies and glandular defects
  • Compresses thyroid
  • Balances hormones
  • Improves flexibility of scapula
  • Stimulates nerves behind eyes
I was able to really, truly breathe. It was incredible.

It's actually my favorite pose for stretching my lower back and one that I've tried teaching to Ben. I've come to realize that the 26 poses (rabbit pose is #23) kind of build on each other and the 105 degree room also enables a certain amount of flexibility that one might not be able to reach outside of that temperature range. Maybe we should invest in a hot room when we (if we ever) buy a house... It's got to be cheaper than the $1,000 per year membership (per person - and that's with the huge discount!) to this place.

No comments:

Post a Comment