Saturday, August 4, 2012

Away, away

I've had trouble keeping up with this thing since my browser at work is no longer supported by google. We're in the dark ages (yes, I work in IT; no, I cannot make decisions as to when we upgrade our software). It's too difficult (read: I'm too lazy) to actually think about, type, edit, publish a blog from home in the evenings. So I don't. I've tried composing blogs and saving them in my email so all I have to do is copy/paste when I get home, but alas, I have 4 unfinished blog entries in my email and no desire to finish/publish them.

So here's a quick (or long) recap of the past 6 or 8 months.
Dec: the ex finished up his appeal brief and submitted it to the court.
Jan: we finished up our answer/cross appeal brief and submitted it to the court. The cross appeal was about the fairness of the child support portion of the ruling. Basically, as it stood, the ex would get 100% abatement of child support for 2 months in the summer (that's ok. we said actually suggested that). But...he would also be able to abate up to 100% of hotel and airfare costs he incurs in ANY month he comes to Portland to visit. Essentially last year, he abated every month except 2, one of which he tried to abate. We thought that was unfair.
Feb: the ex finished up his reply brief, thus ending the brief portion of the appeals process. One sentence read, "Again, appellant would be happy to pay his full child support obligation, if Appellee's request for removal is overturned..." To me, it sounds like blackmail.
Mar: we waited with baited breath to see the court call schedule - there was also a chance that they could just rule w/o hearing oral arguments.
April: we made it to the proposed call - meaning we would be presenting oral arguments in June, unless they ruled w/o argument.
May: waiting, waiting.
June: School got out. We desperately tried to find a house to put an offer in on before Scooter had to leave. We put one in, but we ended up pulling out of negotiations. Ben took Scooter back to Omaha on the same day (coincidentally) as oral arguments. The lawyer called all giddy with excitement over how arguments went. 99% of the time was spent discussing our cross appeal.
July: We put in an offer on a house, but it was rejected. We were dejected. I stalked the appeals court website for an opinion. We got one. We won. Big time. Our cross appeal was remanded (meaning the trial court has to fix it), and we successfully defended the actual appeal. We put another offer in a house. It was accepted. Bubba and I went to summer camp with Scooter, my mom and all the cousins. My sister, Ami, stayed the whole time with us. It was so great to see everyone. So great.
August: It's just started, but already, we had the hearing w/ the trial judge. The visits that the ex can get reimbursed for is capped at 4 per year. He still has the 2 months in the summer, so effectively his child support obligation is about 50% of what it would be if we were in Omaha. But to be honest, in mediation (back in November 2010), I offered that he wouldn't have to pay ANY child support if he'd just agree to settle out of court, and he said no, so I'm still better off that we could have been (minus the $51,000 we've spent on the lawyer - so far). We'll close on the house on the 21st. Scooter comes home in less than 2 weeks. Things are definitely looking up for us in Oregon.

No comments:

Post a Comment